How common is erectile dysfunction (ED)?
It may seem that because ED is not frequently talked about that it is not a common condition.
The exact prevalence of ED is difficult to determine, as it is expected that the condition is underdiagnosed due to reluctance of those experiencing ED to come forward and speak with their healthcare professional.
However, it is expected that 52% of men between the ages of 40 and 70 years old suffer from ED. The prevalence of ED increases with age. At the age of 40, around 40% of men are expected to have ED and this rises to 70% in men over 70.
ED is experienced across age groups, not just by older men
ED is experienced across age groups.
1. Sooriyamoorthy & Leslie. Erectile dysfunction. StatPearls. Accessed: May 2022.
2. Ayta, I A et al. BJU international.1999: 50-6.
3. Crisp & Matiske. Sex Dev 2021;15:187–212.
4. Shabsigh, BJU Int. 2004 Nov;94(7):1055-59.
5. Shabsigh R. 2nd Edition. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press; 2006. Epidemiology of Erectile Dysfunction. In: Mulcahy JJ (ed) Male Sexual Function. A Guide to Clin Manag;pp 47–59.